Discipline is the soul of an army. It makes small numbers formidable; procures success to the weak, and esteem to all. -George Washington
Hello my friends!
Working out is hard. In fact, it’s really easy to just simply throw your arms up in the air and say ‘Why should I do this?!’ It sometimes feels like the physical benefits only come with a ton of training and the lack of short-term results only make it seem more difficult. Life is so busy; why should you take the time out of your day to go to the gym or spend some time doing hard physical activities?!
For all of you out there struggling with this, (especially those who made New Year’s resolutions to work out more!) I just wanted to share a few practical reasons why I think you shouldn’t give up just yet and to keep pushing forward!
- Ever study for a class? It’s actually really similar to working out! Simply put, if you don’t put the effort in to study for your class you aren’t going to get a good grade. You don’t know how you’re going to do until you actually get your grades back; like this, you have to keep at it in order to see results, even though it might seem pointless at the time.
- ‘It only takes two weeks to form a habit!’ False. According to the European Journal of Social Psychology, it takes approximately 76 days for most people to form habits. (LINK HERE) It’s not as easy as one would think to form habits; but once acquired they are quite hard to break!
- Regular exercise actually prevents depression! If you want to be happier, it’s actually proven that routine exercise makes you feel better about yourself as a person! (Short Summary HERE)
- Exercise can help break already existing bad habits! (Not a journal, but a good reference)
- The discipline and habits that you form through exercise and working out can carry over to other aspects of your life and help you to be a better person! If you know how much and what to do that can carry over to your home, school and work life making you a more-organized and functional person!
- Angry? Stressed? Exercise can help you release those emotions in a controlled environment! It releases more endorphins in your brain, making you feel better and thus releases you from those emotions! (A nice article on this very subject!)
- Your body will thank you! The less healthy your body is; the more health problems you are going to have over time. Our ancestors worked almost all day and night toiling in the fields; now most tend to live a much more sedentary lifestyle. To maintain our health, we NEED to be active and exercise regularly!
I hope these reasons motivate you to seek a healthy and beneficial lifestyle this year in the form of regular workouts! If you like this article, please share it with your friends who may need a little confidence booster in this field!
‘Till next time,
Leave all the afternoon for exercise and recreation, which are as necessary as reading. I will rather say more necessary because health is worth more than learning.